Tuesday, July 31, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Tibor...outdated?

Tibor is my favorite reel on the market.  I've been using them in the Keys for the last 6 years and they're indestructible.  I use the gulfstream on a twelve for tarpon and the riptide on a 9 and everglades on an 8.  Never a problem no matter how much you beat them up.  I also like the Orvis Mirage and a couple of the Lamson reels.  I've had issues with abel's drag binding up.

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:16:51 AM UTC-4, Gaucho Fly wrote:
You bring up a good point when you say that you have never lost a fish due to gear failure...  I bet there are few people on this board who have.  I have been using the same Scientific Anglers 8/9 Saltwater reel for many years on everything from large Jack's, false albacore, baby tarpon, bonefish to Steelhead and whatever else I can throw a line at without even a hint of a problem.  I think past a certain level of basic quality and routine maintenance, the rest is just for the fisherman...   THere are very few circumstances in which a reel will break in my opinion and most of those are due to user error. 

On Tuesday, March 2, 2010 5:08:53 PM UTC-5, Dalton Terrell wrote:
I do have some experience with Tibor reels, as my old boss has a
collection of two of each size of these reels matched up with two of
each weight 6 & 8-12 Sage XP rod. I definitely believe in having
backup gear and this set up is clearly overkill, but I didn't complain
when I got to play around with the high end equipment. My experience
with the Tibor's were in a boat, fishing for summer time striped bass
in the bay, schoolie size--almost none of these fish get on the reel.
I have not personally put the drags to the test, but my boss had done
this from bonefish to big roosterfish and blackfin tuna, with no
failure or complaints. He has dunked the reels while wading flats for
bonefish and still had the drag hold up well. I'm not sure how old his
reels were, but the ones that I used had no issues from sharp edges.
These reels were nice but are perpetually out of my price range. They
are made to last a lifetime, and feel like they could survive an H-
bomb.

Check out this post on StripersOnline (http://www.stripersonline.com/
surftalk/showthread.php?t=398169
), which is half-pissing contest/half-
engineering nerd out all surrounding the different types of drags with
heavy emphasis on the carbon fiber of Charltons and other newer reels
vs. the cork of Abels and Tibors.

With all of this being said, I can't say that I have ever lost fish
due to gear failure and I don't own anything as expensive as a Tibor,
though my saltwater fly fishing is limited to stripers and redfish. My
lost fish surround poor fighting technique or line maintenance, from
knots in the running line to running line wrapping around the rod
butt--all issues that aren't solved by a $1000 reel. Most of my reels
have some sort of plastic (or space age polymer) drag and friction
during start up is minimal on all but one reel, a J Ryall that I
haven't really liked since I bought it--this reel has high friction
during startup at all settings and significant fade causing occasional
overrun. I have full confidence in my Ross, Lamson, Austin Forbes and
Orvis reels for the fish they are designed to target.

I would take whatever anybody says with a grain of salt, as I would
guess that the shop in Florida didn't carry Tibors, and the Van Staal
happened to be their most expensive reel with the Nautilus coming in a
"close second".

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/IEQfBtljvLkJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment