Saturday, July 28, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Just spent the day in PA

I spent the day up in south central PA doing some trout fishing.

I left D.C. at 8:00, got up to the Yellow Breeches at 9:45, stopped by
the fly shop and picked up some local flys and was fishing by 10:15.
I spent 3 hours and bagged about 10 trout and a handful of
fallfish&chubs. The brown's were taking size 18 caddis dry's.

From the Yellow Breeches, I made a quick stop at the Letort. I didn't
expect to catch anything, and I wasn't disappointed. If you move too
fast, or make a single bad cast, you spook the fish. I did spook a big
looking (20") trout and a 16" brown came up an sipped a bug 4 feet from
me, right at the bank. I didn't spend much time at the Letort, but it
was worth a visit.

I did a quick stop at Big Spring on the way home just to scout it out.
It is a nice spring creek. Not as hard as the Letort, but not as easy
as the Yellow Breeches.
As a thunderstorm was threatening I was able to get a couple of nice
rainbows. As the Thunderstorm rolled in, I packed up for home.

The Yellow Breeches was elbow to elbow fishing (ok, about every 30 yards
there was an angler), and isn't easy, but there are a ton of fish and
they feed all summer long. It's funny trying to tye on a size 20
caddis. The fly is smaller than the eye on my size 2 clousers.


Carl

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment