Friday, July 27, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: TSA Regs and restrictions

I just got back from a trip to Idaho, during which I took 4 rods, three reels, forceps, nippers, etc. plus about 200 flies as carry-on baggage. I didn't have any problems with that, but the TSA were gigantic jerkwads with respect to some other aspects of my personal baggage. The risk you run with the TSA is that the agents simply don't know what the regs are: in my case, they failed twice to obey their own rules. Telling them "these are your rules, you have to follow them" seems to confuse and anger them, and made the situation worse for me. Even when I was forced into a "private screening", they did not open my tackle case. My research project for this morning is trying to figure out if I can ever fly again without being violated by the TSA. But as I said, the fishing equipment was not at all a problem for me on this trip.

Incidentally, the TSA regulations state that it's up to the airlines to accept or reject fly-rod tubes as carry-on baggage. United was fine with me bringing the rod case on board, and I discovered that on one of the smaller commuter jets (Embraer something or other), there is a long narrow overhead compartment above first class that is perfect for a fly rod case or tube -- nothing else fits up there. I was not flying in first class, but the attendant told me I should put my rod case up there.

--Miles

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/bGxyUZ4caysJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment