Monday, July 30, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Just spent the day in PA

Carl, you were right in my neighborhood (during the semester I live right across the street from the Letort in Carlisle), and I'm glad you had some luck. I'm impressed you got some fish on Big Spring, in my experience it can be every bit as hard as the Letort! Nice when you get on the water right before a front moves through, gotta love a dropping barometer. What were they biting on?

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:53:28 AM UTC-4, Carl wrote:
I spent the day up in south central PA doing some trout fishing.

I left D.C. at 8:00, got up to the Yellow Breeches at 9:45, stopped by
the fly shop and picked up some local flys and was fishing by 10:15.
I spent 3 hours and bagged about 10 trout and a handful of
fallfish&chubs.  The brown's were taking size 18 caddis dry's.

 From the Yellow Breeches, I made a quick stop at the Letort.  I didn't
expect to catch anything, and I wasn't disappointed.   If you move too
fast, or make a single bad cast, you spook the fish.  I did spook a big
looking (20") trout and a 16" brown came up an sipped a bug 4 feet from
me, right at the bank.   I didn't spend much time at the Letort, but it
was worth a visit.

I did a quick stop at Big Spring on the way home just to scout it out.  
It is a nice spring creek.  Not as hard as the Letort, but not as easy
as the Yellow Breeches.
As a thunderstorm was threatening I was able to get a couple of nice
rainbows.  As the Thunderstorm rolled in, I packed up for home.

The Yellow Breeches was elbow to elbow fishing (ok, about every 30 yards
there was an angler), and isn't easy, but there are a ton of fish and
they feed all summer long.  It's funny trying to tye on a size 20
caddis.  The fly is smaller than the eye on my size 2 clousers.


Carl

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/1aeLuciejiEJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment