Friday, July 27, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} My visit to Congaree National Park

             Spending a couple days in Columbia, SC and found out there is Congaree national park about a half hour from me with the Broad river and a couple lakes waiting for me.  Not know for great fishing but who can pass up spending an evening at one of our great national parks and a chance to dip a line in for a while. 
 
          Left work at 4:30PM and raced over there to get to the visitors center before 5PM when they closed.  Got there just in time and was able to get a little information on where I should concentrate and what I may catch.  You are allowed to fish any of the waters except Western Lake but I was advised that they mostly see guys at Wise lake of Broad river at the docks.  I then geared up and realized that I left my flies back at the store.  One hour round trip  (muttering curses to myself) and I was back at the park and ready to go.
 
          Now I should mention that spending a late July evening in a south Carolina swamp may get a little steamy, but that would be an understatement.  I was wearing long sleave shirt and pants to protect me from the insects and it was over 100* and extremely humid.  I was absolutely drenched in sweat and my glasses were constantly fogged up.  My hands actually pruned and yet I never actually got in the water.
 
         Back to the story,  So I decided to try out Wise lake and hiked 1.2 miles to the lake.  This was the absolute perfect picture of a swampy lake.  Movie makers could not have done a better job.  Right as I walked up to the lake (20 th 25 ft. from edge), some fish (atleast I hope it was a fish) must have seen me because the edge of the water exploded with something swimming away.  Well the short of it was that I tried my 6 wt. with walt hoppers and wooly buggers with no luck other than one little nibble.  There was atleast one fish in there.  It did take something off the surface once or twice but it was nothing I was throwing.   I left for the long hike back a little before dark skunked and a little sullen but still happy I went. 
 
          Now I know you don't normally see post about trips that were not that successful but that is specifically the reason I wrote it.  I may not have caught anything but I did learn some things for next time and enjoyed the experience (excluding the sweat and annoying knat that would not stop buzzing around my head).  It was much more technical than I originally suspect due to the amount of ceder trees with cedar knees sticking out of the ground.  I had a lot of trouble casting between the trees (with limited space for back casting) and with my line getting caught in the roots and knees.  I now realize I should have taken my 5 wt. and possibly work on roll casting right from the beginning. 
 
          I plan on going back there tonight and try out the river this time.  I will make sure to post about that experience when I get back in town.
 
 
 
Aaron
 
  P.S.  I will try and attach the photos when I get a moment
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/7MOaYBdCXx4J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment