Wednesday, July 25, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Leaders for saltwater

  maxima light green color.....i know the spools are a mess but, for some reason maxima is a bit more abrasion resistant, also i find it more durable against UV and salt water abuse when fishing for many days.
 

On Monday, July 23, 2012 3:10:14 PM UTC-4, Mike Diakiwsky wrote:
After digging around online for some information on saltwater leaders, I thought I'd ask for the TPFR perspective.  I'm not concerned about tropical destinations or fish like tarpon or bonefish.  I'm talking about the kind of surf fishing we can find within a 3-hour drive (NJ, DE, MD, VA).

I tie my own leaders for trout and I was curious if anyone ties their own salt leaders or had any formulas they'd like to share.  I was also thinking of buying a few knotless, name-brand salt leaders, but I'd like to hear some opinions before making any purchases.  Should I just save that money and get some thicker butt sections for tying my own?  And if I choose to tie my own, what size tippet should I use when chucking average-sized clousers and poppers for whatever fish wants to bite in the surf?  Since inshore game fish vary so much in size, I can't find an easy answer.

Also, any thoughts on wire?  Should I stick with mono/fluoro and hope that a bluefish doesn't shred my line?  Or should I build some wire into my leaders just to be safe?  I know companies like Rio and American Fishing Wire offer some decent options in this regard.

I've got the rod.  I've got the line.  I've got the flies.  But that critical piece of information is still missing - leaders.  Advice and opinions would be great!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/PmoZ9x2wVN8J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment