Tuesday, October 21, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Tips for this newbie on catching bigger fish

A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time. My biggest fish of the year was caught while I was standing under a tree at the Tidal Basin. I was on the phone and holding my rod under my arm. The biggest gar I've ever hooked into came up vertical and sucked in my size 10 damsel nymph dropper. The fish was into my backing within seconds. The fish eventually threw the hook.

I was fishing Gravelly below Merrick 4 years ago. I was into nothing but 6" schoolie stripers. As soon as I left he got into a 30" striper.

Keep at it, maybe make a spreadsheet journal of each outting's locations-conditions-flies used-fish caught etc. to compare what worked, when, where, and mostly why. Big fish will be heading into Four Mile Run soon for the winter, muskie putting on the feed bag, and the striper bite will taper off in about a month. Plenty of close in fishing.

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:29:30 PM UTC-4, Jamie Carracher wrote:
I started fly fishing back in May after taking the introductory classes at Orvis. I enjoyed those classes so much, I bought a rod and have gone out at least once a week ever since. On my first day by myself, I caught a little perch at the Tidal Basin and thought: this isn't that hard! And then I didn't catch another fish for six weeks.

I've really improved when it comes to casting (thanks for the tips at the Tidal Basin, Todd!). I also have caught a lot more fish. On a recent trip home to Ohio, I caught a sizable rock bass and a 15 inch or so smallmouth (my biggest catch yet). That was cool.

Here in D.C., I haven't had much luck catching decent sized fish. I'm using a 5 wt with floating line and flies like the woolly bugger and clouser minnow. I don't have a car, so I normally go to the Tidal Basin, C&O Canal or the river up by Fletcher's or Chain Bridge (let me know if you ever fish any of these places, would love to meet up!). I don't have waders yet because it seems silly to buy those when I'm mostly catching little bluegill.

I'm guessing my biggest problem is my floating line. Should I be using sink tip or even full sinking line? Is a 5 wt good enough? Is it easier to fish the river on a boat? Thanks for any tips!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/b726a081-3274-4c53-9772-a8dc084b8b9c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment