Friday, October 31, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Overhead casting help needed

I consider myself a to be a good one-handed caster, but have taken up the 2 hander the last few years for steelhead fishing.  Youtube is ok, but as a left handed caster it can be difficult translating what they are doing to what I should be doing.  i made much more progress when I went out with one of the guys from a shop back in Buffalo for a couple hours.  Even though he didn't cast left handed, he was able to show me what I should be doing/was doing wrong. 
 
I guess what I am saying is getting one on one help is the way to go.  A good caster/teacher will speed up your learning curve way more than videos will.  Even if you have to pay someone a couple hundred bucks, it will be worth it.
 
I remember about ten years ago I considered myself to be a pretty hotshot fly caster after fishing mostly trout/steelhead waters for my whole life.  Went down to the keys to fish for tarpon and learned very quickly how wrong I was.  The skills required are on a whole other level. 

On Friday, October 31, 2014 9:09:43 AM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
Andrew,  You Tube is the greatest thing as far as casting demo's.  I have spent countless hours working on my 2 handed casting and going back to videos on Y.T.   Saying that, nothing beats a lesson from a casting instructor, which I am not.   There are several in the club who are.  Worth the money. .  

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:47:33 PM UTC-4, Andrew Wiggins wrote:
Anyone down to help teach a relative newbie basic single-hand overhand casting (am willing to bribe)?. A little background: I've been fly-fishing for about 2 years and have self-selected forms of fishing which don't really require much casting. i.e. small brushy streams  such Beaver Creek MD/SNP/Gunpowder where I can use short roll type casts for almost everything. I'm looking to branch out a little and have started practicing overhead casting with and w/o double-hauling after work (on grass). This has been fairly comical especially as I try to carry more line and  vary my orientation with respect to the the wind. A persistent problem is that my backcast doesn't stay high enough. I've been working through some of the tutorials on sexyloops and Joan Wulff's book, but thought there might be some good resources here. Thanks for your help. 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/5b5fbc00-9577-4c16-94e8-9efc5f29aba3%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment