Friday, October 31, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Overhead casting help needed

You're on the opposite compass direction from me -- but I think you're up near Trent.  Though I've never watched him cast, he's a FFF dude and I picture that he's pretty darn good.  

Nothing improves your driving like a ticket!  Having someone watch you is great -- even just video is helpful, because you can swear that you're doing something only to realize that you are not.  Even just talking to Dan one evening he explained that I was likely throwing a curve into my backcast due to combination of side-arm style and looking over my shoulder a lot, and he was spot-on.  My loop is better now that I'm aware of it.  

Gene

On Friday, October 31, 2014 11:08:52 AM UTC-4, Andrew Wiggins wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'm in Bethesda and may try taking a lesson or two with a local casting instructor. To this point, I'm basically self taught from YouTube etc, which has almost too many casting videos. I was thinking that I should try video taping myself (catching leaves) and attempt to diagnose what's going wrong ( or right) . I often find that a good feel ( loading) doesn't always translate into a good cast. In terms  of my loops, they're generally pretty open, particularly with the longer rod (9-9") I've started using. With shorter rods I can develop a decent tight loop, however i find that it's not always repeatable. I likely need to practice more and figuring out what went wrong. The other night I was working on my loop with no haul and a target at 30 or so feet. My first 5-6 or so were tight and right on target, and then they my attention let up or something and the loop opened up and the cast would start to hook. I suspect this is just how it goes (at least for the uncoordinated).

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/5df09cf1-0ff8-477d-816f-f6bf01958631%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment