Thursday, October 23, 2014

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Alright, back to fiberglass?

We could have a glass casting party sometime.  Vic has moved out of the area, but I'm sure we can get a quorum together.

If there is a Fenwick you want to cast, just ask.. The FF84 is an especially slow rod for a Fenwick.  The FF857 and FF806 are nice rod.  he Fenwicks were adjusted over the years, so and eraly FF857 might cast differently than a later one.  In general I like the 3digit Fenwicks with their rated lines. The 2digit Fenwicks sometimes need a bit more testing with different lines.  

Gene,  I will let you borrow my FF755 if you promise to take pictures when brookie fishing in the park and post them.  The FF755  and the FF806 are the Fenwicks that I think of when someone mentions glass Fenwick fly rods.


On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM, TurbineBlade <doublebclan@gmail.com> wrote:
Okay - so having loved the feel of my TFO finesse 389 (3-weight, 8'9") for small stream fishing more and more, I bid on and won a couple of old glass Fenwick rods to see whether I'd like those as well.  I ended up with a FF857 and a FF806, which is apparently among some peoples' favorite old glass rods (the FF806).  

The FF857 arrived and from what I gather, can be fished with several lines effectively (like other glass rods)....so I chose a WF8 to test it out.  

Casting it was surprisingly uneventful.  I really like it, but don't find "slow" rods really all that different to cast than any other rod.  I think the brain sort of does some things under-the-table, and there isn't as much conscious adjustment like I expected.  I feel like you could use a WF9 on it and not have any issues at all.  It seems like a good smallmouth bass rod/general warm water rod-- so I'll probably use it for that.  

Anyway -- I know there are glass fans in the group.  I believe I'm one now.  In actual fishing situations (not launching fly line over grass and parking lots) I really like how slower rods roll cast and pick-up, and just generally feel.

From looking around, it looks like the older Fenwicks (e.g. FF84) were even slower than the 2 I have, so maybe I'll have to try one of those as well.  

If there's another of those TPFR SnowGlasstastics, let me know!  I have a couple of rods to contribute, though everyone might already have those.  

Gene


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/8ba41d75-9efb-45ec-84db-27997881cfee%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAK8gq%2BFcnntr%3DBiLsCO-WRfBmQfWKaqKV3GwQaJA%3D1QFc9TRfw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment