Monday, October 20, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Tips for this newbie on catching bigger fish

Have you tried fishing a topwater pattern yet? Say a gurgler? You should be able to cast that alright with a 5wt and floating line. Stripers love them when feeding on the top. Bass too. Just another option.

On Monday, October 20, 2014 8:41:29 PM UTC-4, Jamie Carracher wrote:
Thanks for all the great comments! I probably was a bit misleading in my initial comment... "big" to me is an 8 inch smallmouth. About a month ago, I landed a bluegill the size of my hand at the Tidal Basin, which is the biggest fish I've caught here. Most of the fish I've caught in DC have been a lot smaller.

It's interesting the consensus seems to be to stick with floating line. I typically stay at the canal or tidal basin because I can bike there and the conditions seem most favorable for that. I have no big desire to go with a sinking line, I just assumed I needed one because I haven't had a ton of success with floating. I live right near Rock Creek but I havent seen too many fish in there, unfortunately. I like being on the river because it's the most natural option, and I can focus on casting without worrying about tourists. The Tidal Basin is where I go most often though because it's more open and the potential fish are more diverse than the canal.

I'm sure I'll improve. I go on hot streaks. I'll catch three bluegill one day and then nothing for three weeks. Right now I'm in a slump. I'll start playing with the times I go next.

Jamie

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/27b42072-4286-465b-b173-739f313e300b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment