Sunday, September 30, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Spotted Bluegill "poachers" ?

I worked for DDOE in the water quality division for 2 years before landing my current job and I asked the DC fisheries biologists (who work out of the Anacostia Rec Center (AREC) about who enforces fishing regulations.  They, to the man, had no idea who would actually enforce the regs.  I suspect NPS might enforce the regs in certain locations, particuarly near the Tidal Basin....but I would guess that few if any of them actually know what the DC regs actually are. 
 
With most things in government, if it is not explicitly stated in the regs.....they can't really enforce anything.  So unless chumming is actually prohibited, there's virtually no chance that someone citing you for chumming in DC would hold up.  I've never chummed in DC, but I've never read that it is prohibited so I would assume it's acceptable. 
 
For bluegill I assume the same applies.  Though I would not eat any fish captured anywhere in the area. 
 
This makes me wonder about the general fly fisherman "catch and release" practice vs. the reality that population management can be a better overall approach to the health of the water.....

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:26:28 PM UTC-4, Senor_denito wrote:
Michael,

That reply was much appreciated and interesting.  Any other literature or sources of information on game fish in this area, you would recommend? 

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:45:31 PM UTC-4, Senor_denito wrote:
I was really disturbed at seeing a group of three plucking loads of bluegill out from the Tidal Basin on makeshift short wooden rods.  I think they "chummed" the water.  Anyway I am not one to profile but they could have been of middle eastern / asian descent.  As a blue gill was plucked out from the water it was slapped into a ziplock bag full of 20 plus bluegills. 

 I'm not sure if this is considered poaching but two large ziplock bags full of bluegills did not seem right at all.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/r52U8UqDHhkJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment