Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Classic Books

I think most of the books I've read and enjoyed have already been listed here, other than those by Dave Ames. Maybe I just missed them. 

So far, I've read True Love and the Woolly Bugger and A Good Life Wasted - both were excellent. He seems to blend fact and fiction and come out with some great adventures that you wish you had been a part of!

--Scott

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM, johnfarr <johnfarr@gmail.com> wrote:
I am a mega bibliophile who inherited a very large fly fishing library from my father; I probably have most of the books listed here, some 1st editions, some autographed, etc. I don't think I'll ever get around to reading them all.

Anyway, I think that Lefty's "Presenting the Fly" is easily the best book out there about basic technique. This also reflects my biases as I tend to think that approach and presentation are much more important than matching the hatch.

Anything by Robert Traver, especially "Trout Madness" is excellent; literally laugh out loud funny in some places. "Fishless Days" by Sparse Grey Hackle is another great classic. "Big Stony" by Howard T. Walden is worth reading, his chapter comparing life to a river is one of my all time favorite essays. All of Corey Ford's short stories are great as well. Also Ray Bergman is excellent, I still don't have a copy of "Trout" but "Just Fishing" is fantastic, and still relevant 80 years later, I loved all of the stories of his youth that he included.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/s7svV-2Vyi4J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 



--

================================================

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment