Sunday, September 30, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Massive schools of fish in 4MR

I was out at 4MR today at low tide and saw two things that I had never seen before.

1st - fishing at the sewage outflow all of a sudden gizzard shad started to explode out of the water in all directions. It looked like salmon trying to jump a waterfall. Then as soon as it started, they all vanished. I can confirm they are gizzards as I saw one foul hooked yesterday.

2nd - a few minutes later something strange popped up out of the water. Not a doodie. It moved toward shore. It turned out to be a good sized brown water snake with a good sized bluegill in its mouth. I got my iphone up to it to record some video before it spit it out. I then slipped and filled my waders. I got lucky with the phone. Time to get a lifeproof case. And about the worries of putting a tippet in mouth after its been in the water, I'm pretty sure I ingested some of the 4MR and have not had any issues so far.

Found an AAA card and another credit card today out there.

On Monday, September 24, 2012 10:39:19 AM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:
I went out to 4 Mile Run yesterday afternoon with my friend. We had mild success - a few largemouths and sunfish, but nothing of size. I did, however, see one giant largemouth (at least 5 lbs, conservatively) right next to the treatment plant discharge and three needlefish that kept chasing my fly. The most interesting thing I saw were massive schools of fish swimming around. These fish numbered in the hundreds, if not thousands, all in the area of the discharge. I'm not sure what they were, but they appeared to be silvery and looked like shad. They were all about 6 inches, but every once in a while I'd see a loner that was 10 or 12 inches. They completely ignored any fly (although I wasn't really trying for them except for three casts with a nymph), and seemed like they were simply displacing any fish that would normally be there. Any thoughts on what these could have been? Lane actually foul hooked one and got a picture, so hopefully he can post it for confirmation. He said it was very slimy if that gives any clues...

Jeff

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/6WENJpAdYUoJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment