Thursday, December 3, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} watercraft recommendations?

Former whitewater boater here, current canoe angler. I've done the Rapp in a kayak and I don't remember there being anywhere I'd worry about taking a canoe, but that might be because I did it at lower flows than you're fishing. If you ever want a ride in my two-person canoe, I'd be happy to run the Rapp with you. I can teach you how to get down more or less safely. We can sit ten feet apart, no touch, all the proper end times protocol.

The thing about canoes is you don't dump anything that's tied down. I spent the first part of quarantine rebuilding a sling pack to work as a boat bag - I can lash it to the thwart, never gets lost. The bigger problem is water in the boat - you would need float bags, but they're not expensive. I just last spring outfitted my Mohawk for float bags, but I haven't had a chance to take it anywhere they do any good.

If I had your budget, I would be looking pretty seriously at this Nova Craft Supernova demo from Front Royal Outfitters: https://frontroyaloutdoors.com/product/supernova-1410-tuffstuff-demo-sale/  That thing is 2 feet shorter than my canoe but about half the weight, which is unbelievable. I solo my Mohawk pretty often and it's around 90 pounds. It's not too bad once the weight is on my shoulders.

-Miles





On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 12:07:24 PM UTC-5 DJ wrote:
I can paddle a canoe pretty well, but some of those stretches on the Rapp are pretty dicey, I'd be concerned about dumping all my fly gear!!  Canoes are pretty heavy too.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/2cd30f9c-2a52-4636-9c79-d2370635d754n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment