Sunday, December 30, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Kayak Paddle

If you don't want to install some form of anchor, you won't have to ability to stay put when you want (or need) to.  Personal preference.

Since you have an inflatable, the anchor hook up is a different beast...

Not only do I have an anchor - I have two (stern is a drag train, bow is a grapple that runs from amidship via an anchor trolley).  Depending on the situation, I can deploy either one or both.  The drag chain (or bag of rocks) allows you to slow your drift and minimizes the chances of the anchor getting snagged.  The grapple (umbrella - the small ones you see in West Marine) allows you stay put (relatively) where you have a mud bottom.  Being able to cut away from either is a safety issue (add a good knife to your list of things to get) but if you rig a crown float (a float with a line attached to the anchor), you can try to recover the anchor later.

So that's all applicable to a hard, sit on top kayak.

For an inflatable, you need to consider the strength of the attachment point - is it a d-ring vulcanized to the vinyl and can it hold up to the pull, it's location on the boat (amidship is not so good - broadside to the current will get ou in trouble faster than bow or stern into the current) and what you would do if you had to cut away.  If you have two d-ring patches (one at the bow and another at the stern) you can rig up an anchor trolley - it makes managing an anchor or a drogue a lot easier.  But if your kayak is a shorter one (less than 10'), you may be able to deal with line management from your seat (my kayak is 14' long and I throw my kids up front when I go out most times- no way I could manage without the trolley).

Kayak rigging (for fishing) can be a whole other (but completely related) addiction - I bolted on 8 attachment points or plates where I can place rod holders for trolling or management while paddling, keep a gps for reference, setup cameras to document the catch and place a signal flag/light so you don't get run over by a motorboat.  I don't mean to make this hardboat oriented, but the only inflatable experience I have is with a standup paddle board (d-rings up front - I can reach the anchor which is a retractable dog leash with a grapple anchor).

On Saturday, December 29, 2012 11:12:28 AM UTC-5, Scott S wrote:
I know there are several posts on here specifically about kayaks, but I'm wondering about paddles. My wonderful wife (enabler that she is), got me an inflatable Kayak for Christmas, and I'm planning to get a paddle (and a paddle leash) for it this weekend. The Kayak is the Kwik-Tek Airhead Single Person, and it's my first boat. 

Is there anything that I need to consider when getting a paddle? I plan on using the boat on flat water like Roaches Run and probably on sections of the Potomac - Gravelly Point and Fletcher's.

Any advice on paddle length, design, etc. would be very useful. 

Thanks!

--Scott

================================================

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/txLUSSRvEy0J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment