Saturday, December 29, 2012

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Kayak Paddle

I'm new to kayaks, but recently went through this.
Here's way more than you probably want to think about...

For length, I used this chart based on height & more.
230cm seems to be pretty standard, though I've seen 200-260. 

As it shows, you need to make a decision about being a high paddler or low (angle to the water),
which is also affected by the width of the kayak. Because inflatables are generally wider
(I have the Advanced Elements Straightedge Angler @ 35"), and because I tend to paddle more vertically,
and I expect to be paddling over a lap full of stuff, I assumed high, and went for the longer size 240cm (I'm 6'1".)

You also have a grip diameter, but I rarely found a choice. 

Some blades have a curve to better scoop the water.
Some blades have a corner cut off, which helps avoid scraping bottom, and may improve stability.
Both of these mean there's only one way to position the paddle, so there may be more fiddling.

Larger blades can tire you out faster, or make short maneuvering more fussy. But nothing says you
have to put the entire blade in the water. 

Two-part paddles can sometimes be adjusted so that the blades are at different angles to each other.
Depending on your stroke, this can reduce fatigue and give you a more natural bite through the water. 

You might have a little collar at the base of the blade to keep water from running down to your hands
on the upstroke, but this doesn't seem to help me much. 

Materials are plastic, fiberglass or carbon finder. Based on material and design,
you can easily spend between $40 - $2000 or more for a paddle. You may decide to add a paddle leash,
though those seem cumbersome. 

Also, a boat friend highly recommends leaving it partially inflated throughout the year,
just enough air to hold its shape. This helps prevent creasing tears from keeping it folded up in a storage bag. 

So yeah, I'm new to kayaks, but I do enjoy the research!

--
Jeff Cook


On Dec 29, 2012, at 11:12 AM, Scott Stankus <sstankus@gmail.com> wrote:

I know there are several posts on here specifically about kayaks, but I'm wondering about paddles. My wonderful wife (enabler that she is), got me an inflatable Kayak for Christmas, and I'm planning to get a paddle (and a paddle leash) for it this weekend. The Kayak is the Kwik-Tek Airhead Single Person, and it's my first boat. 

Is there anything that I need to consider when getting a paddle? I plan on using the boat on flat water like Roaches Run and probably on sections of the Potomac - Gravelly Point and Fletcher's.

Any advice on paddle length, design, etc. would be very useful. 

Thanks!

--Scott

================================================

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment