Thursday, June 18, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Sling packs

Vedavoo seems to be the only brand that puts the sling on the opposite shoulder from your casting shoulder (assuming that most people cast with their right hand). Not sure what the logic is on why one is better than the other. I haven't felt any issues with the Orvis pack being on my right shoulder and casting with my right arm. 

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 3:37:32 PM UTC-4, Gregg DiSalvo wrote:
I have two.  I had a chest pack and hated it.  I'd consider a waist pack, but do love the slings.

Biggest con is whichever shoulder it is over can get sore after a full day of walking around and casting.  

Pros, flipping it around by unclipping on clip.  Super easy, super fluid.  They hold a decent bit, but not as much as a backpack.  

I have the Fishpond Summit Sling- This was my first sling and I love it for trout hikes and light smallie wading.  It fits a bugger beast Jr. in the main pocket with some work.  Then plenty of room in the fold down outside pocket for other flies/leaders/ whatever.  Then another pocket closest to you back comfortably fits narrow boxes.  There's another small pocket on the top which i keep my wallet/keys/phone.  I rarely use the net holder as its hard to put the net back after pulling it out, but do use it.  Plenty of clip points for other stuff (rod tube, tippet, pliers, nippers, thermo, floatant).  Oh, and water bottle holder is awesome!

A more recent get was the Patagonia Stormfront Sling.  I find the fishpond sling to be more comfortable, but love the size of the Patagonia sling. This sling fits more on the inside and is completely waterproof.  That's the reason i got it.  I would have tried the fishpond waterproof sling, but I had an absurd discount on Patagonia at the time. I use it when I carry my nice camera and am wading deeper water.  Not as many pockets, so inside organization isn't great.  Plenty of clip on points for tools.  NO WATER BOTTLE HOLDER.  I really miss this, but perhaps their thinking is that if you are dunking your bag, no sense in getting giardia by dunking your bottle.  

ultimately they both have their uses, but I prefer the bigger bag that's waterproof.  Peace of mind is a great thing. 

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 5:53:35 PM UTC-4, namfos wrote:
Why you like or dislike sling packs?
What brand/model do you like? 
What brand model do you wish you bought instead? 
Over left shoulder or right shoulder? Why?

Thanks, 
Mark

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/290ff7eb-a733-4583-b6ba-8aa5add706fco%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment