Friday, June 19, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Chest packs

There are some interesting comments regarding different styles of sling packs.  The topic of chest packs were brought up but not really discussed too much.  What are people opinions on using chest packs for kayak fishing, especially sit in kayak fishing?

Thanks 
Kevin

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 4:37 PM 'Miles' via Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I like sling packs because they can carry a lot of stuff out of the way, but get it in front of you when you need it. I use this model from Orvis - the old Safe Passage large pack. It has enough capacity for a water bottle plus a couple of medium boxes of flies, which is key. When I fished in Florida, it was the perfect size for a day of wading.

The Orvis pack was good, but I had to make some improvements. You can see I sewed a strip of velcro loops as a fly patch. If they flies are not barbless, it's the devil to get them off the thing, but it works. I also put a grommet in the bottom, so if I wade too deep and get water in the pack, it has a way to drain out (also if my water bottle happens to leak). I also put in a snap to hold a key chain inside the pack, since I don't like to carry my keys in my pants pockets when I'm wading.

I actually have another of this model that I bought on super discount, that I have disassembled. My plan is to rebuild it with a strap that can switch sides, since I actually do not find the right shoulder strap all that natural feeling (I cast right handed). As a bonus, if the strap is removable, I can use it as a boat bag, with velcro ties to the thwart of my canoe. I have had it for about five years at this point, still haven't gotten around to putting it back together.

I sent Orvis an email outlining all the improvements I felt could be made on the model. I haven't seen any of the newest bags, but I know they had already committed to a new design without any of my modifications by the time I sent the email.

I also have an old chest/hip pack but I found it a bit cumbersome for a relatively small quantity of gear (no water bottle!). I still use it for light trips, but it gets in the way if I have too much stuff in it.

Miles

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 5:53:35 PM UTC-4, namfos wrote:
Why you like or dislike sling packs?
What brand/model do you like? 
What brand model do you wish you bought instead? 
Over left shoulder or right shoulder? Why?

Thanks, 
Mark

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/976170e5-4c48-447b-996a-2d62d9aa348do%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAAtT9-teTJeR-%2BFJqZCP7EThfNt1qe_Q4_W4xkmDmgt2XfUoHQ%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment