Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Help -- Carp Fishing C&O Canal Advice

(First time poster, long-time lurker)

I tried yesterday around 5pm...  Walked about half the Canal - from Georgetown out - and saw a few cruising carp as well.  Some singles, but also a couple of groupings of 3 or more fish.  I threw a few things at them, but had no luck.  Saw no tails.  It's a pain in the rear to cast along that trail with the runners, overgrowth and other things in the area.  I plan to try again though.  I was super pumped when I came across 2 GIGANTIC snakeheads.  They looked to be a couple, guarding a ball of fry.  The larger one - had to be +30 inches - did not leave their side.  The other one though, chased my fly all over, but did nothing mock me.  It was super fun though.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 11:44 AM Andrew Sarcinello <andysarce@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm far from an expert on carp, I've only landed one and hooked a few others in the canal, but I found it helpful to just focus on the ones feeding nose down in the mud. Cast only when you have a clear shot at one specific fish. 

The risers are probably eating midges and I can't even begin to imagine trying to land one that's been hooked on light tippet needed to fish midges.

On Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 10:56:03 AM UTC-4, Daniel Lazenby wrote:
I received an offer to go Carp fishing. Not wanting to show up dumb as a rock and having no technique I viewed some Youtube Carp videos about how to fish them. 

Then I spent a couple of afternoons (1 PM-5:30ish PM) walking the canal from Fletcher's down canal for a mile and a half towards DC. Water clarity never seemed to be more than maybe 8 inches visibility. I saw Carp. Really nice size Carp from my perspective. Most of them were greenish, though I did see a couple of orangeish-yellowish ones.

On my first walk, every Carp I saw was suspended (hovering) in position. Hardly moving a fin. Came across a pod(?) of 10 on the far side of the canal hovering under an overhanging bush. Hardly a fin moving. At the end of the day, I did see the most artful slow-motion rise. The 24+ inch fish surfaced with mouth open, closes its mouth, and submerges hardly leaving a dimple in the water.

On my second walk, a majority of the Carp I saw were slowly cruising up or down the canal or playing some form of tag. I did come across one half-submerged in the near side vegetation slowly working its way up canal feeding(?). I tried dropping my fly in the vegetation several inches in front of it. That resulted in the fish going around my fly and my fly snagged in the vegetation. I saw another one slightly nose down but there was no mud being disturbed. I also came across a faint mud trail, but never saw the fish.

So after two 3 mile round trip walks and a couple of handfuls of red cap raspberries, I still haven't a clue how to fish for these beasts with a fly.

Am I there at the wrong time of the day? 
Wrong time of the year?
Not holding my mouth right?

All advice welcomed.  

Daniel

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/51a5aa7d-a497-402a-b5cd-4fa5bfc63e16o%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CA%2B1uHFCKNb%3D567gcWokz140U5Df1SQKfa%3DUzMnmtd9FY%2B9H4SQ%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment