Thursday, June 18, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Improving casting distance

I find that the use of a stripping basket helps keep control of the line. Not going to shoot very far if your running line gets snagged on something on the ground. My back cast is stronger, so when I'm casting for distance I tend to lead with that, and I also get really silly with it. You'll basically see me holding the rod high over my head to functionally make the rod longer so I can cast further without much of a backcast (which is actually my forward cast.) 

Short answer just practice a lot, watch a few videos, and then go out and try it. Don't fixate on being perfect, just have fun, experiment, and stick with what intuitively feels good. 

My cast kinda developed from casting from a kayak with extra fly rods stacked vertically behind me, and a big camera pole looking over my shoulder. My cast is weird to watch but it gets the fly within a couple feet of where I want it. 


On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 6:20:08 PM UTC-4, Sean Steele wrote:
Are there specific exercises or "cast thoughts" that assist you in generating more distance in your casts? Assume ideal conditions and a typical setup for our local tidal waters. 

Asking for a... friend.

Thanks,
-Sean

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/72ae76b3-48c7-4ded-809f-fbf58d4b9383o%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment