Thursday, June 18, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Frozen Fish (in Carbonite)

The hard part was finding a bounty hunter who could get the fish to Bespin...

Seriously, I'm happy to share but I will warn you that when I started messing around with stuff like this, it totally changed how I watch movies and TV - especially science-fiction. This project will suck some of the life out of Empire and especially the first 1/3rd of Return of the Jedi. You're paying a price for this knowledge. 

So anyway, keep in mind I was trying to do this as cheaply as possible, and some of this is shortcuts: I bought a half-cast plastic taxidermy mount online, and epoxied it to a stack of boards I cut and glued together to fit the mount. I ran HVAC metal tape around the edges of the boards to hide the wood grain. Then I used drywall joint compound to hide the edges of the tape, create the texture of the carbonite, and merge the mount into the background, with a few splotches on the mount itself. When the drywall mud was dry, I gave it a coat of Triple-Thick Varathane. Then I sprayed several coats of metallic silver paint on it, letting them dry and cure in turn. Finally I did a partial coat with a black metallic paint - like oil rubbed bronze, or something like that. As soon as I got that coat on, I went back with a paper towel damp with mineral spirits and buffed away the dark paint to make the texture pop. The mineral spirits doesn't cut through paint that's already cured if I'm careful, so taking back the dark paint just shows the silver underneath. I deliberately went a little too hard on the outside edges, so the metal tape started to show through. Voila!

Miles



On Thursday, June 18, 2020, 4:48:53 PM EDT, Jeffrey Silvan <jeffreysilvan@gmail.com> wrote:


That's awesome! Any details on how you did it?

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 4:45 PM 'Miles' via Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I've never kept a trophy fish for the wall, but I had this idea that it might be cool to have a fish frozen in carbonite. I took advantage of the quarantine to finally make it happen, and I think it turned out. This was meant to be a rough draft, so I already have some ideas how to do it better, but for now I'm satisfied. I just hope his girlfriend doesn't sneak in and thaw him out in the middle of the night, then blow up my barge.

Miles

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/c45371fe-eea2-46da-a8ce-9b2b22fb09afo%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/mCKIrD1l8Rk/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CANiFxByaiurRVCo%2Bp9ZtfHhv%3Dwe1NDaXCf3oW9AymfpE%3DNYG9w%40mail.gmail.com
.

No comments:

Post a Comment