Thursday, June 25, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Sling packs

Sorry it's taken so long to chime in.  Been awful busy here.

 

Sling bags have pluses and minuses, and you guys rely on us to help you figure them out.  Here are a couple of things to consider:

 

  • The majority of the freshwater fly fishermen in the United States are right handed.  When changing your flies, right-handed caters usually tuck the rod up under the right armpit, holding it in place.
  • Right-handed people tend to grab bags and packs with their right hand, with the most comfortable position for duffel and messenger bags be to lift with your right hand and go over your head and hanging the strap across your chest, resting on your left shoulder.
  • As a right hander, in order for you to slide a sling bag around from your back and into the front of your chest, the shoulder strap needs to be over and across your right shoulder so it doesn't interfere and bump your rod out from under your armpit.

 

Many sling bags nowadays are made to be used on either shoulder with a slight modification in where the strap attaches to the lower part of the bag, and even have a place for you to slide a net into them, like some of the bags we sell from Fishpond like the Flathead Sling and the Delta Sling.

 

Some sling bags are made to be only worn over your right shoulder only and are not adjustable to either side, like the waterproof Fishpond Thunderhead Sling and Umpqua ZeroSweep 2 Sling.

 

The thing with these packs is they let you comfortably carry a lot of gear high up out of the water.  For short guys like me, a godsend.  For tall guys like Dan Lazenby, not essential.  But what they're especially good at is carrying a lot of stuff and fair warning – because you CAN carry a ton of gear, your probably will try.

 

I using one of the Fishpond Delta sling packs because I'm usually teaching or helping and I need to carry extra gear, and a bottle of water.  With the water bottle (usually a stainless Yeti Rambler) my pack weighs 15lbs.  Not ideal when trying to be a minimalist.

 

Hope that helps.

 

 

Regards,

 

 

R

 

 

From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com> on behalf of tperkins <thomas.perkins1@gmail.com>
Reply-To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Sling packs

 

I have the older orvis sling pack (same as scott) and have similar complaints due to size. But I am also aware that no matter what size pack i use, I will fill it completely. I do wish it had a integrated net holder like some of the new packs and a water bottle holder. 

 

But overall i like it, I do use a backpack when i am on the beach, since I carrier a bigger fly box that wont fit in the sling pack, and I have to take that off to change flies etc which is annoying. 

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 11:00:00 AM UTC-4, Jamie Carracher wrote:

I have this Orvis sling pack. I had a gift card, so I really didn't shop around for other brands. But on the whole I like it a lot. I was using an old backpack before, which worked but had a lot of issues. 

 

It slings over your right shoulder. I cast left-handed, and it works pretty well. I've never had an issue with the placement of the pack. I'm a little lazy and don't often use the second strap across my chest, but when using it the whole thing is really stable, which is nice when scaling hills around streams and other obstacles. The only real downsides I have are that the water bottle holder is pretty small and the pack itself doesn't hold a ton. I've done it, but it can be tough to shove layers in there when the day warms up. It's better for a quick outing vs. something more elaborate. I don't really go on multi-day trips but if I did I'd want more storage.

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 10:14:09 AM UTC-4, Daniel Lazenby wrote:

Mark,

For my response, my right shoulder is my normal casting shoulder.


Daniel

 

 

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 9:30 AM namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:

Clarification: my question about which shoulder ought to have been, "Over your casting shoulder or not?"



On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 5:53:35 PM UTC-4, namfos wrote:

Over left shoulder or right shoulder? Why?

 

 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/46f3730f-5f25-4090-8b94-3efc4098dddeo%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/5065aa9c-be1c-4574-9819-62b2a5661970o%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment