Tuesday, November 5, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: GP Fishing Report 10_29_2013

I hit Gravelly the morning after the gov't shutdown ended and it was prime. Tons of stripers were in the moving water (outgoing tide around 9:30 am) and they were blitzing bait every ten minutes or so. I was getting hookups on nearly every cast once I figured out my drift. At one point I got a hookup on four casts in a row. Silver Kreelex with heavy dumbell eyes was the ticket.

The best fish was, of course, the one that got away. I hooked up with a smallmouth that would have gone over twenty inches. I know because I saw him twice, first on a jump right after the hookset, and second on the jump that threw the hook. I played it for probably about five minutes (divide by three to compensate for my slo mo perception of time) before it got away. Makes me wish I hadn't debarbed the hook but I'm grateful for the encounter! 

In total I probably caught around 15 fish during the hour that I was there. Noteworthy fish were two stripers around 16-18", one smallmouth (escaped), and one decent largemouth around 15". But of course you already know that because I attached the pictures and your eyes went there first. 

Gravelly is a good spot but it's hit or miss. This trip was my third visit to Gravelly, and the previous two times I caught jack squat. I think it has to do with timing and also pressure. If a spin fisher is on that spot right next to the concrete all, forget it or get yourself a boat. 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/1a97cda0-2031-4966-ba8d-5668bb6aaffd%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment