Tuesday, November 12, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Big Hunting Creek - 10 November

I made my way up to Big Hunting Creek in Catoctin Mountain Park this past Sunday - first time there and well worth the 75 minute drive from Arlington.  After arriving in the park and selecting a spot (the only hole I fished during my half-day there) I came across another fly fisherman who had been upstream and landed one rainbow on his nymph setup.  One of the trails in the park is parallel to the stream so there was some foot traffic during the day but the trout were likely spooked more by the "doubles" of fallen leaves I pulled in on my double nymph rigs or dries and nymph setups.

During the day I tried dries, streamers and nymphs and the only fly/setup that resulted in any strikes were nymphing with the Cress Bugs sold by James at the Beaver Creek Fly Shop.  There were a few follows on the golden retrievers and root beer colored retriever I tie but no nudges.  Later in the day there were a few trout rising but they didn't show any interest in my dries.

Attached are a couple photos of the trout landed.  

Great day to be outside in the park even with the 20mph+ winds gusts.   


-aks

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/3d9169df-5075-4cac-8228-1a7a53dd87ec%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment