Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Wenatchee, Washington

You need to define "friendly to waders".

I fished the Yakima for the first time in the 90's – I was my very FIRST west coast stream that I ever fished.  I met up with a buddy from West Seattle to took me to see the amazing basalt canyons of central Washington, herd of mule deer running thru the valleys and uplands, and of course to spend several nights at Red's Campground.

We parked along the canyon and hiked down to a couple of good spots to wade during lower to normal flows.  It was late summer/early September during a drought year, so that helped.  Lots of hoppers and ants.

Anyway, the wading was tougher trying to straddle rocks here and there, but it was manageable.

Of course, I also said something to him that he NEVER lets me forget…  all my fishing was eastern rivers with smaller gravel/rocks that are worn down over time.  The wading tends to be easier to walk around in.  Of course, in my haste I asked him "All all the rivers out here the same?"  He asked what I meant, and my reply was "You know… with all these big rocks in 'em."

He laughed maniacally and then managed to explain, which I already knew, but it sounded so stupid that he never lets me forget that.

If you're out on the Yak, check out mile posts 18-22 – there are a bunch of rock gardens and the fishing can be good.  You can pretty much wade anywhere along the Yak from the road.

I think you can access the railroad along the other side by MP 9 near the Slab campground.


Have fun.


R



Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313 | richard@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter



From: <michael.d.virginia@gmail.com>
Reply-To: <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:11 AM
To: <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Wenatchee, Washington


Thanks Joel,

My impression is that the Yakima is not all that friendly to waders... Have never seen it except in videos and pics and what I have read.  It is apparently the only "blue ribbon" trout stream in Washington State...that is a surprise. 

I am considering moving out west someplace to semi retire in the upcoming couple years.. I'm looking for a place near a glider club that has great fly fishing and Western mountain scenery.  For the first time in my life I am seriously considering getting a pick up truck so I can put a pop up camper on it as I intend to spend a great deal of time in the out of doors, a lot of that fly fishing for trout and Salmon..I hope. We'll see.

I keep intending to show up at a Beer Tie...and somehow I keep missing the date.... :-(  I hope to make the next one... I haven't missed it already I hope... :-0!

Did you see the results of the forest fires they had last year?

Mike Vance


On Monday, November 4, 2013 9:33:05 PM UTC-5, Joel Clement wrote:
I was on the Yakima a few weeks ago, put in at Cle Elum, got some fighty cutthroat and had a blast on a gorgeous stretch of catch and release river. I recommend!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/cdf3417a-ea1e-4b40-b007-bf9f25cfe6f9%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment