Saturday, June 30, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Tidal Basin Fly Fishing

Matt,
There is no rules set in stone for changing flies.  When I would guide I would often look at the water, the conditions, and the area I am covering to make that determination.

Say I am fishing an area with current, large rocks, and medium depth on a smallmouth stream.  I may start by fishing the same streamer that I used near the head of the pool.  I know that this water SHOULD hold fish so if I don't get a bite I may switch flies to another pattern.  If nothing bites that I will switch again quickly. 

I also let the water dictate what I fish with.  For example, if I am in areas where the fish may be feeding on chub minnows I will throw a Shenk's White Streamer.  If I am fishing an area where there are crayfish I may switch patterns.  This is not a hard fast rule though and sometimes I will change up to different patterns quickly if nothing is biting.

You may also try switching colors if you are not catching fish but believe that fish are holding that area.  You may also try some poppers near the edges of cover in an attempt to get a hit or a fish.  It may be a blue gill but it breaks the ice!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/yQXfOv9uuUgJ.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment