Thursday, June 28, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: New River/fishing around Roanoke?

I just fished the New River June 14-16 and did pretty well. We camped in Piney Creek, NC, which is just upstream of the confluence on the South Fork. I wade fished the main stem at Fries, VA two of the afternoons, floated the South Fork one day and floated the stretch between Independence and Fries one morning. The best stretch by far was the float between Independence and Fries, this yielded a few 12-13" fish and a 15" fish. These are all spots that are ~2 hours or so driving from Roanoke, and you will need a shuttle service and kayak rental, the only place I know that is around good fishing is around Sparta, NC (do a google for canoeing the new--BTW, if you like to have a few soda pops, don't stay at their campground). I wish I could help you on more details, but pick up a Virginia Gazette or the National Geographic map of the New River for boat ramp locations (as far as I know Google maps doesn't have this yet).

Another option is the Roanoke River; I had a high school friend who went to college in Roanoke and he always talked about wade fishing the Roanoke River but I never made it up to fish there. 3

Dalton

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:10:40 AM UTC-4, peter odell wrote:
I'm heading down there for a couple of days, and have always wanted to fish the New RIver.  I'm inclined to rent a kayak and skip a guide, but could change my mind if anyone knows any really good (and mellow) guides.  Is there other good lakes/streams around here?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/jS1Y8axvTgsJ.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment