Thursday, June 28, 2012

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} lost fly box

I lost a fly box on the Rapidan in the SNP and a guy from Fredericksburg found it. He called because my phone number was on the box, we spoke, and he mailed it to me. Totally recommend you put your name & number on fly boxes. 

Cheers, 

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 28, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Rob Snowhite <rob@robsnowhite.com> wrote:

There is always hope.

I lost my completely loaded box of my own tied flies (probably 4-5dozen bass flies) at Chain Bridge 3 summers ago. Never found it. That is bad news.
The weekend before 9-11 my then girlfriend (now wife) and I were floating the Rappahannock. We flipped our canoe and went to an island to dry everything off. I left my olive colored vest on the island. It was full of 4-5 full boxes, tippet, leaders, split shot, thermometers (all those things that add up to be super heavy and thats why we don't wear vests anymore). I drove back to Fred Vegas the next weekend. There was on Google Maps back then. I had no idea where the island was. I rented a canoe and did the 7 hour float by myself. I recognized the rock in the middle of a chute that we hit with our boat (I was standing up and casting and the gf was supposed to be paddling and watching out for rocks, she did neither and thus we had hit the rock). I paddled over to the shore and found my vest!

Better yet, and this is when I go all sorts of random on y'all, I spent my junior  year of college in Puerto Rico for a tropical ecology field lab exercise. This was back in the era of film cameras. I was shooting my old Nikon and putting shot rolls of film in my pockets. I got back to our dive hotel (iguanas in the beds, no hot water, no locks on doors, rats on the steps etc) that night and realized  I'd lost a roll of film. We returned to Fred Vegas (thats Fredericksburg to the lay person) and looked up Rio  Camuy parks on the internet. It was pretty basic back then, dial up and what not. I sent them a note stating the brand film, the date I lost it, and where I lost it. I had determined I lost it IN THE CAVE.

I then packed up my gear for a trip overseas for the summer. I returned a month or so later to my house in Fred Vegas and dragged my gear up to my room. Upon my desk was a roll of film and a note from a park ranger. They stated they found the film and mailed it to me.


After that experience, I have always kept hope in my mind that something lost can be found. If a roll of film can be returned from one of the largest underground cave systems in the world, a fly box might just be returned to you. I can also tell you that giant male iguanas like red Twizzlers and that you should not let a teetotaler botanist professor drink while away from his wife on a biology trip. That, and don't get washed over a reef of fire coral by a rogue wave. 

On a side note,  how was the fishing at Gravelly?
 
Rob Snowhite


From: jackm <jmandeldesign@gmail.com>
To: tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:48 PM
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} lost fly box

I fished gravelly point today for the first time ever, and discovered that my fly box was not in my unzipped vest pocket when I went to change flies.
I usually don't wade so deep, and I guess the box just drifted away.
I wouldn't make a big deal of it, but my brothers gave the box to me 18 years ago. It's an olive green Orvis box with a hokey Norman Maclean quote on the back. Filled with trout flies and a bunch of saltwater deceivers and poppers.
If anyone finds it, I'm offering a case of beer in your favorite flavor.
Sentimental value mostly.
I'd love to be reunited.
Thanks much. Sorry for the sob story;)
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/Ue5OdtrgJSMJ.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment