Friday, May 30, 2014

RE: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Indian River Inlet

Awesome!

 

I found sinking line to be a little overkill, unless spey casting. To me even my 10ft sinking tip was too much at low tide.

 

A couple other words of wisdom:

 

1)            Don't let the bait guys give you crap about fishing too close to them.

2)            The end of the jetties is where it's at. All other areas you'll catch about ½ as much, which is the problem. The "regulars" definitely know this and don't rotate if you know what I mean.

3)            Get there and set up about an hour or 2 before the tide change. Fishing through the next hour or so. I found nearly all the bait and action tapered off dramatically an hr or so after the tide changed.

4)            I found a tandem rig to be most effective

5)            If you plan to fish the jetties you must, must have a stripping basket and either felt or similar grip for the rocks, which are extremely slippery.

6)            Almost all of my hook-up with the schoolies occurred within a few feet of the jetty.

 

It's also interesting to note that I fished the incoming tide from the south shore-bay side and that was where I caught the weakfish. Park for free at the very end of the public area, just before you reach the private homes. There is a slight pool/eddy and when the tide changes, the current rips through. I saw a ton of stripers working this area hard.

 

From: tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com [mailto:tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Deadbait
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 12:02 PM
To: tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Indian River Inlet

 

Great job Marek! I was also fishing Indian River Inlet that weekend for the first time. While I wasn't dressed appropriately to brave the jetty, I did find space under the bridge and using my 8wt and sinking line, quickly got into some very nice sized hickory shad.

 

I saw a monster speckled trout/weaky landed on conventional gear and a few stripers. 

 

Will definitely be hitting this fishery more often!

 


On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:24:17 PM UTC-4, Marek wrote:


>
> I was fortunate to sneak away from the wife and kiddos for a few hours over the holiday weekend at the Indian River Inlet. For those unaware, the inlet sits somewhat between Bethany Beach and Dewey Beach, Delaware.
>
> Not really knowing what to expect, I went out on a particularly windy Saturday morning to find the jetties on the ocean side fairly packed. Armed with my 7wt and a ton of clousers I set out around 6:30, with more than one quizzical look from the "regulars" who nearly exclusively fish big spin rigs. The tide was just about to change to outgoing, and having learned over the years fishing Gravely Point, that should mean bait and bait eaters should be active. The wind proved quite challenging along with the crashing waves, but I managed to have a blast pulling in schoolies and a monster sea trout. The trout nearly pulled me in!
>

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/59734acd-6df9-4964-be3f-bdf01d69ba07%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment