Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Beaver Creek Mill Trip

Awesome fish! I had no idea Beaver Creek had beasts like that.


On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM, James Ovelmen <jovelmen@gmail.com> wrote:
My wife and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary up in Fredrick, MD this Memorial Day Weekend. My wife is so wonderful she agreed to squeeze in a little fly fishing. So, I booked a half day guided trip for us with James Harris from Beaver Creek Fly Shop on a private stretch of Beaver Creek (the Doubs Mill section). I had never fished with James before, but I have been in his shop a half dozen times asking for advice on spots to try and flies to use.

We met James at his shop at 9:00 AM (originally we planned to meet at 8:00 but I called the night before to request a later start so we could enjoy the evening before for a bit longer). We took a short drive (5 mins) to Doubs Mill, parked and unloaded our stuff. I brought a 5 wt and James brought a 5 wt for my wife to use. She is not much of a fisherwoman, but she has caught some over the years and enjoys being on the water. We fished small nymphs with an indicator and 3x tippet.

We had pretty consistent action from start to finish. The takes were pretty subtle, so we missed a lot of fish. My wife spent most of the time practicing her casting and learning how to mend. James was really great working with her. He set me up ususally a cast or two distance upstream of her.I started with a couple of 12-14 inch hatchery rainbows. The followed it up with an absolute monster rainbow, see the first picture. It ran and bulldogged and tried to get into logs and around sticks. Thankfully I had 3x and was able to get him to James to net him. I continued fishign the same hoel and pulled another hatchery trout. I then moved to the next hole down and saw something huge flash in the water. I worked to get the perfect drift, got an eat and missed the fish on the hook set. I was pissed and frustrated. James told me to try a few more. Reluctantly I made a couple more drifts, than bang! He hit again and it was on. He fought a lot like the other big one. I think he was a bit shorter but may have been heavier, see second pic.

All in all, it was a great day. I got two monster rainbows and about a half dozen healthy looking stockers. My wife really improved not only her casting but also how to mend and get a good drift. She also got her own nice rainbow. We finished about 1 PM, ran back to the shop to settle up and headed back to Fredrick to celebrate with a beer and burger!




--
James H. Ovelmen

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAPdFbkuwQKa9Z5zy56aMs4PfpLNhc4YiYxKZEZym1u8KDNzWqg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CANiFxBzoM8zFvABtRb2FXnybiOF3uykOaTWGxwYeGfS7q0b8nA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment