Sunday, April 15, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Planning a trip to the Eastern Shore

Based on my experience down there if I were going the first week in June I would try the bayside creeks. There are not a lot of boat ramp options on the creeks themselves, but you could launch at Cape Charles or Morleys Wharf and run to Hungars, Plantation, or one of the other creeks and target specks (if this past winter didn't affect them too much?). 

On the oceanside, I think that time of year is mostly for the big red drum in the inlets which i know very little about. I'll defer to others on that. Just gotta use good judgment fishing the inlets. As for running around down there, try to launch around low tide so you can see the oyster bars as you head out away from the launch and then you'll have your GPS track to follow at higher tides. At high tide you can run just about anywhere. Its the intermediate tides that can ruin the day. I don't take shortcuts during those times. To be honest the barrier island backwaters is a tough place to fish unless you put in a lot of time over the years. The bugs are the least of the problem. Its usually breezy (windy) enough that once you leave the ramp you'll wonder what the fuss was all about. The most annoying thing for me is the floating sea grass that the wind churns up and then drifts out with the tides. Deep, fast, turbid water is very typical. I use lines that will sink pretty fast. 

Mid to late June through August brings tarpon and lots of sharks (just missed one on a fly last time down there), along with hordes of croaker anglers from NC.  Even ran into some tripletail one summer. That is when I like to fish down there. Its a very cool place. Very humbling though.

Good luck with your trip. John

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 4:59:57 PM UTC-4, HeaveToo wrote:
This summer I am planning a trip around the first week of June.  I am going to take my bay boat down to Kiptopeake.  I think that I have a lot of options for fishing and I really want to try to hit the barrier islands.  I figure I will try to hit the Bay one day or so depending on the weather, but I really would like to fish the other areas some.

I have read the rumors of tarpon etc and I know that I am way early for that.  Still, the idea of flounder and Reds is very alluring.

Have any of you guys been down there and fished the inside of the barrier islands?  Other than bug spray, any suggestions or tips?

I do realize that the area can be dangerous and I respect it a lot.  The boat is set up with VHF and a chartplotter (then again I know that the shoaling and shifting sands render charts out of date quickly in an area like that).  I plan to proceed with caution and give the place the respect it is due. 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/14abc6d2-fff2-4b3d-b97d-d1d87843adfe%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment