Sunday, April 29, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Fletcher's cove questions

Ben, 

1.  NONE of the Potomac river is Virginia.  Though Maryland gives reciprocity, DC does not.  In the water or on the Virginia shore across from DC, you absolutely need a DC license.  So, for Fletchers, DC license is required, no ifs ands or buts about it.  I have seen cops ticketing fishermen on the Chain Bridge side with Virginia licenses.  

2.  Need is a strong word.  I use a 30-foot sinking head.  I have seen guys catch hickories with a floating line.  My advice, if you can afford it, is to get a sinking line/30-foot sinking head.  But advice aside, my practice is always I fish with what I have.  If I only had a sink-tip, I would use it.  If using a sink-tip, cast more upriver with a heavier fly (or flies) giving the tip the maximum chance to sink.  But if you're going to be at this game for the long-haul, you will want a sinking head/sinking line.  Next to my floating line, it is the next most used line I have year round and in all kinds of places.  One time on the Mobile Bay, my 250-grain sinking head saved a redfish trip in adverse conditions.  It's what I use on the Bay (along with a floater on another rod).

3.  I've been fly only for as long as I can remember, so you're better served elsewhere.  But stop and take a look at what the Fletchers shack sells.  They're some pretty heavy jigs to get down in current.

Hope this helps.  Somewhat.

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 3:23:29 PM UTC-4, Ben H wrote:
Apologies if some of these questions are very basic. Going to try rowboats from Fletcher's for the first time this week and wanted to know a few details.

1. Is a VA freshwater license valid in this stretch or is a D.C. License needed?

2. Full sinking line needed to catch shad from boat or will a sink tip suffice? Looks like flows will be normal for this time of year.

3. Also contemplating bringing some cheat gear (aka spinning tackle) for jigging striper. Any tips on lures and size/weight of spoons/jig heads much appreciated.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/64b147ee-af70-4f6c-b613-cf59480097bf%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment