Tuesday, April 17, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Difficult Run

For what it's worth, saw some sizable carp, including one Typhoon-class bruiser, in the C&O Canal stretch between Fletcher's and Little Falls on Saturday up where it starts to take on a little depth. Didn't throw for them as I was out for shad, but I also saw an honest 3lb largemouth cruising in inches along the bank, and a snapping turtle like a mossy sewer cap. 

In prior weeks that stretch had looked completely lifeless. I was surprised at it all.

On Saturday, January 16, 2010 at 7:57:09 PM UTC-5, Dan Davala - TPFR Founder wrote:
My favorite part of this whole thing is "Nothing worth catching, just
carp".  Carp are one of the greatest game fish swimming in fresh water
for the fly rodder.  Maybe they just want to discourage fishing around
the falls due to the obvious dangers and the number of drownings
they've experienced there.  Use your discretion, be smart, be careful,
catch some fish!

Dan

On Jan 16, 10:14 am, Rich <spame...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hello all; I thought it was time to stop lurking and jump in even
> while the water's cold.  Allen, I don't have a direct answer to your
> question, and hope I'm not hijacking your thread but I just thought
> I'd mention that when we moved here 4 years ago, my wife and I went to
> the Great Falls National Park and I spoke with several Park Rangers.
> I asked them if there were any fish in the waters either near the
> falls, above the falls or below the falls and every one of them "spoke
> with authority" when they said, "No ... nothing worth catching ...
> just carp ..."  For 2.5 years I rode my bicycle, up and down the
> Potomac commuting between Alexandria and Rosslyn, seeing folks fishing
> from the banks (some of them looked like they were dependent upon what
> they caught so they could eat), but I never saw anyone catch anything
> and I always thought there weren't any fish in the river.  Imagine my
> surprise when we met Dan and Bert at the Orvis store...  I still don't
> know if the Park Rangers were just clueless, or if they felt like they
> were keeping a secret about something great.  All this said, I'm
> looking forward to responses to your question.
>
> Regards,
> Rich

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/997a5c6b-7269-4812-8b36-8e779a9db553%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment