Monday, April 23, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: HELP NEEDED: Impromptu Oregon Fishing Trip


Hi there - I am going to be in Oregon next week and plan on spending a few days on the Deschutes near Maupin. Have been searching the forum archives for info and came across this post, where you offer to provide additional info on the Deschutes. I would really appreciate any info you have to offer. I land at PDX at 2 pm next Monday and will be driving straight to Maupin, where I plan to camp until Wednesday or Thursday (I may fish the Metolius on Thursday, unless I cant get enough of the Deschutes).

thanks!

Adam Tarr



On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 11:02:31 PM UTC-4, Yambag Nelson wrote:
My advice would be to drive an extra half hour and go fish the deschutes.  It is one of the great rivers in this country and should be fishing well in June. There are two very good flyshops right in Maupin that will have all the info you need.  There is tons of public water easily accessible by road.  You can just drive along and pick whatever spot looks good to you.  While it is an outstanding steelhead river they don't start showing up in numbers until late august/september, trout are the game in June.  The native redsides are some of the hardest fighting trout i have ever caught.   If you are interested in the deschutes I can provide some more info.

If you have never fished for steelhead i don't think the sandy in June is the place to start.  There might be a few fish but it is far from prime time as it is better known as a winter river.  Some of those other rivers near portland like the clackamas may have some summer brats.   Not sure. If you are dead set on the sandy there is a fly shop in welches, I would call them and see what they say.   Regardless, you can leave the sinking line at home.

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 6:28:11 PM UTC-4, Ashley Frohwein wrote:
I just learned a few days ago that I'm traveling for work to Salem and Portland, OR this coming week and weekend. I have one free day (Saturday), and I'm looking to do some DIY wade fishing within ~1.5 hrs. of the Portland airport. Oh, and get this: I've never fished on the West Coast, nor have I ever fished for steelhead or salmon. I've tried to do some internet research, but other than the Orvis 101 salmon/stealheading videos, I haven't found much.

So here's my plan (which I need and would appreciate input on):

I'm planning to fish the Sandy River. (Do you know of any better options in the area? I need something wadeable and relatively simple, since I've only got 1 day to fish it.) I'm bringing an 8 weight (salmon) and 5 weight (trout) (both singlehanded), both with floating lines. I have a full sink line for the 8 weight, and a sinktip floating line for the 5 weight, both of which I'll be bringing. I've got some generic salmon and steelhead flies, and will pick some more up while I'm out there. I'll be using 9-11 foot 8-12 (and maybe even 16) lbs leaders.

Any advice/input would be much appreciated.


-Clueless.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/6718a2ce-2c22-440b-baa3-529ad785bfc2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment