Saturday, December 31, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Adding a little Salt into my diet for 2017

Matt,
I moved to SoMD about a year ago and got a kayak for the same reason you did.  I spent most of the summer last year getting acquainted with area and sampling a little bit of everything from the Shenandoah to the bay.  I got to see a lot of water, but I didn't get "dialed in" on anything in particular..  I did however, have a great day with schoolie stripers from a kayak over by Hoopers Island this fall (check out the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsgvVjVazOk).  I am looking forward to the upcoming spring and summer to hit the bay a little more and also work some of the Potomac tribs for bass and snakehead on a fly.  I definitely have a lot of work to do this summer to get big stripers, cobia, and reds from the bay!
Trevor


On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 11:22:37 PM UTC-5, HeaveToo wrote:
With the future purchase of a new fishing kayak coming soon, I am starting to chomp at the bit for the upcoming fishing season.

I have a few things that I really want to do.  One of them is to do some fishing at Point Lookout State Park.

Previously I have been into the area by boat. I actually anchored there in my sailboat overnight a few years ago.  I have to say, that place looks REALLY fishy.

Not too far from the boat ramp there is the entry/exit of the harbor.  There are rock Jetties on both sides.  Tides create a lot of current in this location.  This place has to hold Schoolie Stripers on a regular basis.  I have heard stories of trout, reds, and flounder as well.

I am wondering if there are others here curious about fishing that location and maybe some that have experienced it.  I am guessing that clowser's minnow would be a go-to pattern.  I am also guessing chartreuse and white for the colors.  Maybe if the blues get into there some crease flies. 

The other nice thing is that if the weather suits, it looks like a short paddle to Point Lookout itself.  That area has to hold fish with current and the sand bars in the areas. 

I would probably do it when I was off during the week.  I am guessing that it isn't worth doing until May/June. 

Who's interested?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/e699ebdd-6ede-4096-b19d-1750bd4d35b2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment