Friday, December 30, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: 2016 Recap: How did everyone do?

I'll throw my hat in the ring and write a quick summary of my fishing in 2016.

2016 was a busy year for me both with fishing and other life events. I got a new job, asked my girlfriend to marry me (thankfully she said yes), and still was able to get out for probably 60-70 days of fishing mostly on weekends.

On to the fishing: This year was full of a few firsts, but was mostly a year where I expanded my knowledge and experience by putting in the time on the water and also reading a lot and talking with other experienced anglers. TPFR has been a great resource!

I focused a lot on streamer fishing in 2016 and subsequently tangled with a lot of big fish. Unfortunately, I have a lot to learn regarding fighting and landing big fish. My success rate was shockingly low, but I think I landed 4 trout over 20" in 2016. However, on a positive note, I have been hooking more and more fish on streamers and my success at landing fish under 20" is much higher!

I also caught my first saltwater fish on the fly in 2016. A few fluke and several bluefish. I caught plenty of striper on the fly in the Potomac to 14", but none bigger on the fly. I did catch two 30" class stripers in the Potomac on spinning gear! Those were fish to remember! As usual, shad fishing was good - although I got a slow start.

2016 was also the year I launched my Instagram account solely for fly fishing (dcflyfish). It has been a great way to track my year in fishing (I actually looked through it before this post) and I have met a bunch of great people who have messaged me about fly fishing!

In 2017 my goals are: get better at fighting and landing big fish, fly fish saltwater more often, catch a 20" striper on the fly, continue to improve my fishing photography skills, and meet more fellow fly fisherman (at the bar and on the river)!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/20b29799-e2f4-4452-be65-b83b17a592d1%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment