Thursday, December 29, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: 2016 Recap: How did everyone do?

Wow...I haven't posted in a while.

Basically 2016 sucked.  I didn't fish much.  I had a few skunks, which is really rare.  I did only a few smallmouth trips and they were okay.  I ran into high water on one of them and did some risky wading to no avail.  I will never do that again because it made me quite nervous.

I did a long sailing trip on the Chesapeake Bay.  The trip was well over 200 nautical miles and I went down to Deltaville.  I didn't get much fishing done because I was combating bad weather too.  One day I went around Stingray Point and I hit high winds and waves over 5 feet.  I did a little fly fishing but I got a skunk.

This summer it seemed like any time I had off I ran into rain.  The river was high, muddy, or not good for fishing.  I worked a ton too and got overtime that I really didn't want.

I think my best trip was a shad trip.  I did pretty good and then I ran into an issue on my favorite stretch of water with the Water Authority.  I think that I documented that on here.  Anyway, I think that issue is resolved well and, after speaking with their management, I have a very clear idea on where you can fish on the Occoquan.

This fall was a bust.  I tried the Occoquan a few times for stripers but the water in the river wasn't moving right.  Bad, but I quickly get defeated and frustrated if I get there and there is no movement at the back of the river.  I really should start going and fishing the bridge pilings hard but I have never had much luck there and they get a ton of fishing pressure.

The exciting news is that I am going to pull the trigger in 2017 and buy a new Kayak.  No more fishing from the inflatable!!  I think that I may be getting a Ride Sea Ghost 130.  It seems like a pretty good bang for the buck and it gets good reviews.  It looks like a good fishing platform.

I think that I will make a resolution to do more fishing in 2017.  Between sailing and fishing I need to spend more time doing this.  These are the best stress relievers I have found.

I would like to fish the Shenandoah River, a few trips into the Rappahannock, and of course, my home waters, the Occoquan.  I wouldn't mind doing some exploring at Point Lookout State Park, Rudee Inlet, and Kiptopeake State Park.

I think that I would like to find some people to fish with this year.  It is hard to do this with my crazy schedule since I tend to be off on week days and right now I am working nights, but we shall see.  If anyone else out there with a Yak would be interested in doing some fishing drop me a line!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/2396e056-857d-417f-80de-e642f6eede06%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment