Friday, December 30, 2016

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: 2016 Recap: How did everyone do?

This was a relatively slow year for me, "only" doing 3 travel trips, 1 local float, and a small handful of solo trips. 

- I kicked off the year great with an amazing trip to Cuba for the first time fishing tropical flats and put a few new species on my list for fly rod catches (bonefish, barracuda, assorted other "unpopular" flats fish). 
- I only fished the canal maybe 3 times this year, but got some of the biggest carp I've caught yet under the mulberry trees in Georgetown. 
- I took a rather interesting trip to Beaver Island for carp and surprisingly while I got a nice carp to hand, the best part of the trip was pulling in some ridiculous trophy smallmouth and catching my first pike on the fly.
- I did my annual mecca to Louisiana to unfortunately poor weather, but still managed to put a nice redfish in the boat.

Andy - super jealous of your move to New Orleans. My wife is from there and has been pushing me to go back, but we haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm pretty sure I'd go broke, though, with the amount of fishing I'd end up doing. Some of the guides are starting to get into some pretty cool stuff with mother ship setups giving them amazing access to crazy fishing, so you'll have to check that out.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Trent Jones <tjones518@hotmail.com> wrote:
These posts are great! Keep them coming!

-Trent

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 11:37:40 AM UTC-5, Charlie Church wrote:
Earlier today I decided to take a look at the 2016 resolutions thread from last year. It made me think it would be cool to see if everyone accomplished their goals. 

As for me, I got one of mine done. I had mentioned I was dying to get a bull drum (even on bait). Parker, Kyle (VB Local) and I had a pretty epic day this fall on them. We ended up with 10 big ones. 

I log all of my trips which makes providing a recap pretty easy. See below:


Winter:
I did not get out a ton this winter since I was in the process of getting ready to move to Virginia Beach in the spring. The times I did get out went well though and resulted in some early season dry fly for brookies. I also was able to get out and float the potomac once and got a decent smallmouth. I will take it in the winter. 

Spring
Before moving to VB, I was able to go on a pretty big 'going away' binge. It included 2 floats up in Western MD, a couple smallie floats, a shad trip, and a few trips to local spring creeks. In one week I was able to get a brown, rainbow, brookie, hickory shad, american shad, striper and smallmouth. I spent a couple days looking for big drum on the eastern shore to no avail. It seemed like every chance I had to get out on the shore was met with wind / dirty water. 

I also spent a ton of time looking for smaller reds, trout and flounder and did quite poorly. The flounder bite for me never materialized all year and the reds/trout took until fall. Looking through my logs, I had 11 trips that resulted in skunks. The dues were paid heavily. 

Summer
I got out a lot this summer. Highlights included 2 offshore trips, a couple cobia trips, a trip up to Alaska to visit one of my best friends who now guides at the lodge I used to work at and overall a ton of exploring. The alaska trip (goodnews river lodge) was ridiculous. My wife and I got all 5 species of salmon, rainbows, dollies, tons of grayling and a lake trout with a good amount coming on mouse patterns. Locally, I struck out on cobes but was able to get a few big trout, consistent stripers under lights, a few alberts offshore, some dolphin and a good amount of smaller reds later in the year.


Fall
Fall was easily the best time for me. Reds and trout showed up in huge numbers which made finding new wading spots a lot easier. I was able to find a few spots that I could hit after work and get into a decent amount of fish. It definitely made me not miss 495. This fall also included that awesome drum trip mentioned above. The trout bite was strong all the way up to December with more than a few memorable trips. 

Some of my favorite photos from the year are attached. Hopefully next includes a lot of time on the water, some exploration and maybe some dues paid along the eastern shore hunting the silver king.

How did everyone else do?


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/3a5f80f6-c98e-450e-97d1-5ecc535062d2%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CANiFxBx0G7vF1ac5%2BWrt7scTyf6puzfpgPrv-RUDkXxAWUQyOg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment