Thursday, December 22, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} How Cold Is Too Cold?

With winter coming on in full form, now is when I have the worst luck finding trout, getting action on streams, etc. I don't want to put up my rod for months, but I have never had a good day on VA during this time of year, usually only freeze my ass off when I go out on the water. So, this year I'm making it my mission to get my nymph (using a 3wt) / streamer (using a 5wt) skills on point and locate some good streams that produce during the winter.

I read somewhere (or was told sometime ago) that when the water temperature is below 40 degrees, chances of catching trout are slim to none. Is this true? Is it better to go out right in the middle of the day with the sun high overhead?

I'm usually going to Passage Creek and Beaver Creek (VA) at this time but was glad to the discussions about places in PA, MD, and WV. Will these fish well throughout the entire winter or does their action fall off in January or February?

Any advice that keep me on the water with a tight line would be very much appreciated! 


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/a8285d26-c5c1-4a5e-a425-3cec12a0ffa8%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment