Monday, December 26, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Mojitos, Cohibas and Bonefish

I Recently returned from a very memorable trip to Cuba. Although the primary reason for going was to attend the Latin America Film Festival where the film "Salero" directed by my Son-inLaw, Mike Plunkett was being featured. However, during my week there I was able to sneak away for two days of bonefishing in the Cienaga de Zapata National Park near the Bay of. Pigs.

This is a remote but beautiful area on the South coast of Cuba about a 2 1/2 hr drive from Havana. The Cienaga, or Swamp, is very much like our Everglades replete with exotic birdlife such as Flamingos, Roseate Spoonbills, Heron, Egrets, etc and alligators. It is also home to the smallest hummingbird the Bee Hummingbird locally called Zunzuncito or just Zunzun.

However, my reason for going was not birdwatching but the Bonefish and, boy, did I find them. My guide, Manuel Arda and I fished from a new Beavertail skiff with a 30 hp engine which whisked us around hundreds of acres of prime bonefish waters which we had to ourselves. In two days I never saw another person, fishing or otherwise.

On the first day we caught bonefish almost at will. I brought at least 20 bonefish to the boat and lost plenty fishing with barbless hooks. On the second day we agreed to target large bones instead of the schools we had fished the day before. We ended catching about 10 fish that day that averaged 5-8 lbs.

I had two shots at large schools of Permit but did not hookup. I was told that Permit are found there but it is not something you can target or count on finding in this area.

Tarpon are also favorite targets in this area but in a different locale from the bonefish flats.

Unfortunately I can not post photos of my fish or the incredible bonefish flats because I managed to lose my waterproof camera I take when fishing somewhere between Havana and home. Fortunately I also had my Canon SLR which I used to take photos when I was on dry land in Havana and in Playa Larga which was the homebase for the fishing trip.

If you get a chance I highly recommend going fishing in this area to fish for bonefish and or tarpon. If interested give Dan Davala at Orvis Travel a call as Orvis fishes this area.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/135c90d7-18be-452c-9c3d-bb180f3b6a99%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment