Saturday, May 28, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} OBX Fishing Report/Review

I'm in the Outer Banks this weekend for my gf's friends wedding. While down here, I was lucky enough to book a half day with Sarah Gardner of Outer Banks Fly Fishing, on her boat FlyGirl.

We took off this morning from Oregon Inlet and headed out towards the ocean, stopping for a bit to get my gf's dad squared away as he'd never fly fished before. I have never fished saltwater before and frankly was completely clueless how to execute the casts needed to get my fly in front of these monsters of the brine. After four hours with Sara, I was throwing 10wt sinking line at least 30-40yds and right on the money. I'm still shocked how quickly she identified flaws in my cast and corrected my issues, not to mention teaching me a ton of new stuff.

Caught a couple nice stripers, a species that's been on my bucket list for a while. Then the tough work started out in the ocean, where we were targeting sharks and Cobia. Fishing for these behemoths was exhilarating and stressful but by far the coolest thing I've done on a fly rod. Sarah was patient, instructive, gracious and an all around awesome guide. While I never got one on the hook, casting giant bucktail flies in 10 mph+ winds, on a boat pitching back and forth in heavy waves definitely has given me newfound confidence in my ability to accurately deliver the fly under most circumstances.

If you are down here this summer, I couldn't more highly recommend a guide than Sarah.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/7150be0e-028d-4caf-bdf7-1ed2b722e1fa%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment