Thursday, May 26, 2016

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Pike -- leader preference, no hatred

Whenever I go out with Matt Miles for musky, we use heavy mono. 

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 12:31 PM, TurbineBlade <doublebclan@gmail.com> wrote:
I have not fished for pike or musky, and have not been successful fishing for pickerel up to this point (went for pickerel, came home with crappie one day last year). 

I'll be in pike country in a few weeks and am really not interested in major tackle changes, since I don't fish for pike enough to warrant buying a 9-10 weight that would sit in a closet for years at a time.  I'll be fishing the stand-by 9' 8-weight with a heavy, short head fly line of my own making that works quite well.  I also have a slo-mo and depth charge on spare spools. 

Leaders -- It kind of seems like if you want to start a fight, you just bring this up and wait for the Northerners to go at it.  Some like heavy mono tippet, some like fluoro, some swear that anything not wire is just stupid, others hate wire, some don't change anything because they don't care, etc.  Some say they formerly used wire but get more hook-ups with heavy fluoro and won't go back, some hate tyger wire, some only use single strand (piano wire) from Ace Hardware, etc. etc. etc. 

Clearly there are many ways to go about this and probably any/all can result in some level of success.

I have some AFW 7x7 (expensive) coated wire that seems to knot well, and I have some Seaguar blue label 40-pound fluoro. I've found that I can loop-loop wire and heavy fluoro tippet pretty easily to the stocky leaders I already use locally (big game mono 40-30-20-12/10)   I can also blood knot the fluoro tippet by doubling over the smaller line.  Both seem to work okay. 

What's you preference for this?  I know there are some musky/pike guys on here --

These will not be trophy pike -- just smaller and maybe some medium ones thrown in.  Like smaller channel catfish pectoral and dorsal spines will teach you though, I don't trust that small pike are any less capable of cutting my line than larger pike. 

 Most of the flies I'm cranking out are only about 5-6" in length (poppers, gurglers, bucktails, rabbit leeches), which are quite a bit larger than what I generally use around here, but are still smaller than what a lot of pike people seem to prefer. 

Thanks --





--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/9b605a43-d0cd-40ea-a59c-65bc3a0844d2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CANiFxBzXuBuNOWexh3xXdoO8z55YFPY9aiB47M_jSosf_js4fA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment