Friday, May 27, 2016

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: C&O Sipping Carp?

Carp fishing in the canal was amazing yesterday. I probably got 40+ shots at fish. I caught 4, which I'd normally be proud of, but a 10% hook-up rate ain't great.

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 1:34:31 PM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:
Nick, pretty cool that you saw it! I did hear about it - it's actually nationally syndicated for Coastal Angler Magazine, so anywhere that has that magazine in the country will get to see my smiling face. My compensation for use of the picture was supposed to be them sending me a few copies, but they never did and ignored all my emails/calls afterwards. I'd love it if you (or anyone) stumbled upon it snagged a copy or two for me!

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Nick F - Gaucho Fly <nfran...@gmail.com> wrote:
I had no idea what kind of tree it was (thanks for the lesson Jeff) but I have fished to those guys before with little success with a fly that pretty closely matched the seed pods.  Seems like most of those fish are smaller, and given the amount of naturals on the water, it was a challenging proposition to get one of them to focus on my imitiation.  Had much better luck (and lots more fun) targeting the active, bigger feeders south of lock 7 with crawfish patterns and wolly buggers for whatever that is worth. 

By the way Jeff, I saw you on the cover of a Florida saltwater magazine holding one of the redfish you caught with Greg Moon.  Not sure if you were aware of that or not, but I can try to track it down for you if you haven't seen it!  Pretty cool accomplishment...  One of my bucketlist items actually! haha.


On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 3:37:10 PM UTC-4, Andrew R wrote:
TPFR crew,

Took my dog out yesterday for some afterwork fishing, targeting smallmouths on the C&O by Lock 7. Had moderate success, catching two and getting broken off by a third after he ducked into the downed tree I was targeting.

Anyways, as I worked my way down towards lock 6 I noticed a number of large carp (a few looked at least 20lbs+). I stopped for about ten minutes to watch them as I've never really targeted carp and was curious to learn more about them. I noticed two behaviors. 1) Like advertised, three or four of them were working their way slowly along the canal floor kicking up mud with their mouths as they dredged for food. 2) I noticed most of the other carp were close to the bank and appeared to be sipping like a trout? I would guess they're eating either insects or small vegetation/berries, but their actions reminded me more of a fishing suffocating from low oxygen. Anyways, for those more carp inclined/experienced, what's the explanation?

Also, I'm now pretty intrigued and definitely want to start targeting carp going forward. I know they love mulberry imitations, but are there other good flies for the canal I should start tying?

Thanks

Andrew


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/279db906-d57d-4f55-bc73-ea0ad0ff035a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/0b97c9d3-bddd-4e01-959d-59956d68d65c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment