Monday, February 25, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Small Stream rod/reel recommendations

First and foremost, this turned into a great discussion thread - so many thanks everyone!

I couldn't wait two weeks until the Angling Show - and had a little extra, unexpected, cash burning a hole in my pocket - so I went with the Orvis superfine touch 3  wt 7'6. 

I actually took it out yesterday on Beaver Creek - and wow, what a great fly rod. It took a few tries to get used to the full flex, but once I had it down it cast beautifully. I felt i had some precision in tight quarters and made high quality casts (not saying other similar models could not do the same) to weary trout without getting my fly stuck in a tree. 

In all I got about two hours in before the weather suddenly shifted- clouds rolled in with the wind, temps dropped with a burst of flurries ( I don't remember that on the weather forecast). I managed 8 browns caught on a variety of dries, nymphs and a streamer. 

Vic, I do plan on trying the Tenkara out at the show. I think this would be another fun and very useful rod when length on a small stream is needed. 

Thanks again everyone

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/Xnxo9QvqyX8J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment