Monday, February 25, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} An Upstream Journey

Thanks for checking in with us Paul, I couldn't be more proud of you for doing it!  You always have a home team here, so drop in on the forum any time and let us know how you're doing.  I also strongly encourage all TPFRers to follow Paul's journey and help him along in any way you can.  This could be simply leaving an encouraging comment on his Blog, connecting him with some resources or intel as he's passing through your home state or other place you know well, or even purchasing one of his shirts (mine is on the way!).  
 
As you can see, this is not your average road trip.  Any time one faces their fears and chases their dreams, it should encourage us all to do the same - no matter what shape they take.  I am so pleased and thrilled that TPFR has been an inspiration to you Paul, and now you are an inspiration to all of us!  Safe travels my friend, I'll be following along.
 
Dan Davala   

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Paul Moinester <pgmoines@gmail.com> wrote:

TPFR,

I wanted to take a minute to say thank you and let you know about my new fly fishing project called AnUpstream Journey.  Pretty much everything I know about fly fishing I owe to TPFR, and I'm confident I would not have started this project if not for this group and its members.  I started fly fishing less than 18 months ago.  Through TPFR I learned how to tie flies, improved my casting skills, and strengthened my fly fishing acumen.  But most importantly, TPFR helped foster my love for fly fishing and inspired me to embark on this new journey.

After four and a half years in Washington DC fighting to protect critical environmental laws and our natural treasures, I resigned from my job in the U.S. House of Representatives.  I left DC, stashed my suits and ties in my closet at my parent's house in Memphis, packed all of my fishing and camping gear into my car, and hit the road.

For the next six months I will be traversing the United States and Canada – from the salt flats of the Florida Keys to the Kenai Peninsula's glacial rivers in Alaska – exploring the upstream battle to protect wild fish and their habitat.  Armed with an assortment of fly fishing rods, my laptop, a handful of cameras, and a trusty (hopefully) automobile, I will be fishing in locations with threatened fish populations, utilizing writing and photography to heighten awareness about the need to preserve these irreplaceable resources. 

With the support of Orvis and numerous conservation organizations, I will be meeting and fishing with individuals throughout the United States and Canada who have dedicated their lives to protecting these fish and their environs.  By sharing their stories and giving voice to their heartfelt calls for preservation, I hope to invigorate our collective consciousness and inspire people to join the upstream battle to protect these invaluable resources.

I hope you follow along as I share critical conservation stories from some of our continent's most ecologically significant waters while putting 20,000 miles of road under my tires and hundreds of miles of water underneath my Orvis boots.  For more information on my journey, you can check out my website at www.upstreamjourney.com and Facebook page at www.facebook.com/AnUpstreamJourney.  I will also be a regular feature on the Orvis blog, so you can follow my journey there as well as on Twitter @upstreamjourney.

Thanks again and tight lines.

Paul

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/JMmcwoa_Yl4J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment