Wednesday, February 27, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Is fishing escapist, or is it the other way?

I agree--it's not escapist, more like a way to feel more real. I feel more alive when fishing than doing just about anything else although skeet shooting and reading good books comes close. Try to get a copy of "Trout Madness" by Robert Traver (pen name of John Volker) if you can, I think you'd like it.

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:30:35 AM UTC-5, TurbineBlade wrote:
Hey - I woke up super-early and was thinking about something - Do you guys consider fishing an escapist hobby?  I work in an office that is about to be furloughed, and my first thought was "man, I bet I can get in a lot of fishing this spring!" rather than the more obvious response shared by others.  Is this normal?  

Anyway - I'm pretty sure that I hate society at this point.  Well, mostly just 40 hour work weeks, people wearing Express slacks, idle chit-chat, Starbucks, elevator outages, and the little bell-tone followed by step back, doors closing.  All I do is think about where the tide is, if I need to tie leaders/flies, and where I might go fishing on the weekend with Beth.  I think, at least in my mind anyway, that I'm never really "at work" and am thoroughly useless for the most point.  Are you guys like this, or are you "go-getters" at work and "go-getters" on the water as an extension of this attitude?  More power to you if you are -- I'm just not one of those people ;).  

Someone was telling me that fishing is "escapist", apparently implying that typing on a keyboard and staring at a glowing rectangle for 9 hours a day = "reality".  I tend to think that fishing is reality and work is the fantasy, complete with colored sticky notes and "Hey Gene - Damn these pens in the supply room are terrible!  Have you tried these?" He was right though, those pens did suck I admit.  

Anyway - thank God I married a woman who loves to fish!  That's the only chance I have ;).  Maybe I should read something by John Gierach -- I've been told that before.  

Gene

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/HgaNAj_Dk5IJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment