Thursday, February 28, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Is fishing escapist, or is it the other way?

I have absolutely loved this thread everyone!  Great musings, insights, and poetry all around!  Regardless of reason, in my opinion we are all super blessed and fortunate in that we have found a real passion in fly fishing.  We live in a time when people actually attend seminars to find out what they might be passionate about.  In fact, if you Google, "Find Your Passion", you come up with no less than 166,000,000 results, which roughly equates to one result for every 1.9 Americans.  There are a LOT of people out there that don't even know what they're in to.  At least the 966 members of this forum have already know, which really is a gift. 
 
Additionally, most studies on happiness (yes there are millions of them too) conclude that the happiest people have something they are in to, something to be excited about and look forward to.  Fishing is a great example of this, and for many it can and will last a lifetime.  It's not surprising then that other necessary activities such as work and chores seem pale in comparison to the activity we love and would chose to do instead if we could.  But if we really could do it all the time, 24/7, I think the activity of fishing would lose a bit of its luster (see "The River Why").  Simply put, the yearning for and desire to fish even when we can't is part of what makes it special every time we do.  Another commonality among the happiest people is a strong network of relationships. I've always said this club is more about relationship than anything else, and it has been a joy to see so many friendships emerge around a common interest and watershed.
 
So, let's take a moment to rejoice!  We have passion/sport/hobby we truly love and enjoy, people to share it with, and free and public access to many great waters across this country, some only minutes away.  We also live in an area with good jobs and good pay, and three International Airports that can take us to exotic locations anywhere on the planet at the drop of a hat - though not to escape of course!
 
I'm also super thankful that so many of you find TPFR helpful in getting through the work week by recounting past times and experiences, posting pictures and trip reports, sharing knowledge with others, and anticipating and planning for days ahead.  And Gene, if you find your piscatorial ponderings truly reach a level of counterproductivity at work, I know an industry where you might fit right in!  Same goes for the rest of you.  Great topic!
Dan Davala

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:45 AM, TurbineBlade <doublebclan@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for the reading suggestions -- I enjoy reading and used to do a lot more of it than I currently do.  Calvin and Hobbes reflects how I feel about most things in life, but I really like a lot of the writing from the fly fishing community as well.  I'll probably pick up some of this stuff used on Amazon and/or bother members if they have copies ;).  But I won't return them though just so you know -- at least not in good condition anyway ;).  I borrowed a coworker's 4-piece 8 weight combo the other day and told him I'd return it in at least that many pieces.  

I guess a lot of you folks tend to feel the same (at least to some degree) -- maybe that's what is great about fishing.  Honestly I don't mind my job and I definitely don't feel like I have a right to complain - it's just "any job" wouldn't hold a candle to this hobby.  

On a side note, I spend way, way too much time online looking up fly patterns and and checking this forum.  Is there a support group for this?  Like in Fight Club?  I guess there are worse things, like golf, heroin and being a NY Rangers fan.  BTW - Aaron, I've read that book.  I think that book was read to me when I was little, along with "too much junk food" with the Berenstain Bears.  Good stuff.  

Anyway - I appreciate the reading tips!  

Gene


On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:57:51 PM UTC-5, Misha Gill wrote:
Haha, way to bring it home Matthew!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/xu0JZTWdAzMJ.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment