Monday, November 26, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Shenandoah Trout Spawn

As a registered republican in DC, I know my vote won't count any way. But here are my two-cents....Your license fee goes towards the appropriate state fisheries and wildlife department. Fishing licenses often pay for restocking efforts, stream upkeep, and park maintenance. If you have a membership to Trout Unlimited, you're paying for conservation and stocking efforts through that. The parks and other urban areas you (yes, including Gravelly Point, Tidal Basin, Constitution Gardens, Four Mile Run, Fletcher's Cove, Turkey Run, River Bend, Rock Creek Park, etc) are all either National Parks or public space if I'm not mistaken.  People are employed to patrol, maintain, and make sure those places (albeit urban in some instances) are safe, presentable, usable, and ultimately - fishable. To deny the efforts of those involved in keeping our fisheries sustainable is somewhat upsetting to say the least. I know the Potomac is an urban fishery, but I respect the hell out of the authorities and higher ups who keep it fishable for us.  It's their efforts combined with aware anglers (like the vast majority of this group, who practice catch and release, respect the fish, and don't trash the water) that keep our waterways productive and sustainable. I guess what I'm trying to say (and in no way have I intended any offense in any this) is that the individual efforts by anglers like yourself to not trash the water, practice catch and release, and enjoy our local waterways for what they are - are indeed acts of conservation. Without responsible anglers, there are no dumb fish.

On Monday, November 26, 2012 6:53:36 PM UTC-5, TurbineBlade wrote:
Hard to think of a sport more directly tied into conservation than fly fishing......

Not so.  

I'd have to vote for this:



238px-Batman_(truck).jpg (238�195)


On Monday, November 26, 2012 4:55:17 PM UTC-5, FlyTimesDC wrote:
Hard to think of a sport more directly tied into conservation than fly fishing......

On another note, don't hate on trout.... smallies and largemouth are also non-native to the region (smiley face)

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:07:15 PM UTC-4, Eric Kruel wrote:
I was looking forward to heading to Shenandoah to fish some of the trout streams this coming weekend.  I am new to trout fishing on the fly and have been searching the internet for as much information I can find on where and what to fish. In doing that I came to a fishing report for Murry's Fly shop that suggested not fishing from Now to the end of Nov due to the trout spawning.  After looking into the brook trout spawn further I found some other sources suggesting it is typically Late Oct. through the end of Nov.  I don't want to cause any stress to the fish that may cause a problem with them spawning.  So I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions as to if it is alright to fish at this time, or if I would be pushing the envelope and better off waiting till the spawn is over. 

If that is the case any suggestions on some other VA stocked trout waters I may want to give a shot.  I have been trying to look on the DGIF site to figure out what locations are currently stocked, but it doesn't look like any place within a 2 hour drive from the beltway.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  If all else fails I might just go try and chase some smallies.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/-T0BaPEuchsJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment