Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} North Branch / Savage River Report

Indeed that was I and my dog Layla - how'd you do?

On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:44:00 AM UTC-5, dubblehaul wrote:
Kevin,
We might have met. I talked with a guy with a dog about the big fish he landed and didn't have his camera. That was Saturday afternoon while we were moving into cabin 8.  We also had a dog with us. Was that you?  The first small cabin by the locked gate?
Steve


On Nov 28, 2012, at 9:38 AM, Kevin Chaney <chan...@gmail.com> wrote:

TPFRs,

I'm late on this trip report - but as they say,  better late than never!

Over Veterans Day weekend, my dog and I made our way up to Barnum WV for two nights and to do some fishing on the North Branch and Savage. They have cabins available (http://www.mineralcountywv.com/parksandrecreation/cabins.asp) you can rent, if tent camping isn't your thing. They have electric and a small heater if anyone is thinking of doing some winter fishing.

 As soon as I arrived to the NB I geared up, and fished my way towards the dam starting in the C&R section. No more than 30 minutes after hitting the water, using a double nymph rig (size 14 and size 18) through some nervous water at the tail of a run, my indicator shot down and a huge bow elevated out of the water several times. Given my biggest fish was an 18incher, I knew this one was bigger and it put up a really good fight -I  worked my way cautiously down river with the fish trying not to trip/slip on the greasy rocks.  After a good 10 minutes I landed the fish as close to the bank as possible since it was  overwhelming my net.  I quickly got out my tape measure - 22incher.

Unfortunately, it was a bittersweet moment, I left my camera/phone in the car (to anxious to hit the water I guess). I actually contemplated running to get it - but realized that was unrealistic. So I gathered myself, took the best mental snapshots I could and let her head back to deeper water. I immediately headed back to the car, still shaking with excitement grabbed my iphone and wouldn't you know it - didn't catch a thing the rest of the day. 

The next day I hit the water again, using a variety of streamers and nymph rigs. I had some success on and off catching some nice 12-14 inch bows, and one really fat 17 incher on a streamer.

I also hit the Savage and took a small brookie and nice brown on a small caddis near the bridge. Overall, great weekend, minus falling in the NB and filling my waders up - thankfully it reached 65 that day.





--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/8Z6Qv864258J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/x46c187fNyEJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment